Saturday, January 10, 2015

The feels and the tears came back

If my heart were a mat,
Would you use it to lay over a puddle?
Like gentlemen of older days,
Would you hurt my heart
For the benefit of others?
There is a certain beauty to that,
And you know I'd let you do it.

If my heart were a mat,
Would you use it to wipe your feet?
Your wood floors need never suffer
From the storms of God.
That, I would gladly let you do.

If my heart were a mat,
Would you frame it for all to see?
Give it blood for its thirst?
Put it by the fire,
That it might continue pumping?
Treasure it so much that,
Should you be evacuated,
It's the only thing in your hand
As you watch your home curl in the flames?

What hurts the most is not the footprints on my heart,
But the truth that lays in my bones.
The truth of this poem.

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.

    ReplyDelete