Monday, January 27, 2014

Monday Night Musings

I remember when Fridays smelt like pizza
and Mondays were exciting.
I remember looking at a boy and deciding
"I'm gonna have a crush on him."
Then telling everyone I knew
not to tell.
I remember when ponytails
just meant pulling your hair up,
and not putting bobby pins in.
I remember when summer
lasted a lifetime,
and school lasted two,
and I remember when missing school
didn't mean getting a part time job of makeup work.

I imagine a blonde
in her world
of school lunch calendars
and late nights til 9.
I see her
in a pink t shirt
at the next door neighbor's
playing her game of witches
and princesses
and fairies
and house.
Then she'll run in
feet dirty and hair a mess
chattering about 100 day
and the mean boy in her class.
I'll just smile
and nod
because I remember when Fridays smelt like pizza.

12 comments:

  1. This is honestly amazing. So real. The specifics make it meaningful and personal. But it's still so relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when ponytails
    just meant pulling your hair up,
    and not putting bobby pins in.

    lol at the trying hard to look casual thing girls got going on. not going to pretend i don't do it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of your work, it's so real to so many other people, everyone can relate in some way with everything you say. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love how casual and free flowing this is, I don't know if that's what you were going for but i really enjoyed reading this

    ReplyDelete
  6. This whole thing was so good. It's honest and real and relatable.

    "Then she'll run in
    feet dirty and hair a mess
    chattering about 100 day
    and the mean boy in her class.
    I'll just smile
    and nod
    because I remember when Fridays smelt like pizza."

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was really cool! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the way you played into the nostalgia. It made me miss things I didn't necessarily experience for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. im gonna have a crush on him.
    #stolen

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I remember when Friday's smelt like pizza" #stolen
    I miss that.
    I also love your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I remember when summer
    lasted a lifetime,
    and school lasted two,"

    I really love the simplicity of your words and how they still hold significance and convey beauty. Keep doing what you do.

    ReplyDelete