Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Cheers

There's something about growing up that takes you away from your friends
and plots you back with your family.
It's as if to say
"You started here,
and you're going to end here."
Today is the time where friends wave goodbye with promises of tomorrow
while you sit in your living room talking music with your big brother.
Today is the day where true colors are unfurled,
and your good friends stay good friends
and your best friend becomes family
and you don't have a problem with it.

Cheers to the girl who became my third sister,
may she forever understand the impact she's had on me
and the continual outstretched hand the leads to my home.
Cheers to the baby who mended a relationship
with a brother who I thought I'd lost.
Cheers to the music that we danced to in the living room,
and cheers to the fact it made me remember past loves
without a longing to hold him again.
Cheers to big brothers.
Cheers nieces and nephews and the cupcakes we ate.
Cheers to my sister who thinks she's my mom,
and my sister who's about as mature as I am
in all the good ways.
Cheers to the newlyweds,
and to the newly divorced.
Cheers to the moments that would never get better,
and cheers to the day they did.
Cheers.


"My family's not rich by any means, but I feel we won the lottery..."

2 comments: