Sunday, June 29, 2014

I have read and agree to all the terms and conditions.

I think what happened was this:
She took it too seriously,
and he was already with them.
Now, understand that half of them don't have the courage,
and I've still yet to figure out the other half,
though, I believe they shut others' emotions out
so that they won't have to come to terms with their own.
He did things to her that he would never let her do to him
because that's the kind of person he is,
and I don't know if you describe that as selfish,
rude,
or oblivious.
The first half kept driving,
because that kind of rush gives them a sense of security.
The lies of the past crumple under their tires
and while the sound is sweet to Karma,
it brings tears to their eyes.
The second half got offended,
because they have always been there,
and "This is a mess.
It's fine.
I'm over it."
but they don't really understand
all the terms and conditions of
"being there".
They just pressed the box
so that the little check mark came up
because that's what everyone does,
because that's what our society is made out of.
I don't think you can get mad at them for that,
even if it did set a crack in your heart.

She got frustrated.
Her old wounds bled,
and she wondered if they would ever stop.
But she doesn't even know that the first half all slit their wrists.
I guess you could say that their cuts bleed by choice,
but I remember the haze in their eyes
that allows them to mistake blood for coffee:
the only thing that'll keep them alive and awake.
He sits at his counter,
reading the paper and mumbling the facts
because "the facts" are what keep him strong,
but he's never stopped to ask if "the facts"
are really just tradition.
Believe me, they have already asked that question,
but may be too greedy to share the answer.
Now, I wonder if they do this all intentionally,
or if their daydreams are just much more relevant
than reality.

If I didn't answer my phone for the next week,
if I never sent out another text,
if my snapchats remained unopened,
which one of them would begin to wonder?

In my mind,
it all seems justified,
however, my body can't help but point out
that this is all so juvenile.
I think my heart would be a lot of help
if it hadn't shut down long ago,
leaving my soul to hang out the clothes to dry.

4 comments:

  1. The terms and conditions of being there. Fascinating.

    I want to tell your heart to wake up. Because I know it would be a lot of help. And someone has to help your poor soul with the laundry.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay wow, I love this and I'm blown away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so so so intrigued by this and I love it.

    ReplyDelete