Sunday, March 16, 2014

Bennie and the Jets

When I die,
will you pick me up in your arms?
Will you run your fingers through my hair,
while rubbing my shoulders to warm me up?
When you touch my fingers,
they're cold.
No problem,
you think,
they're always like that.
Cold hands warm heart.
Will a tear glide off your nose and onto mine,
causing me no disturbance?

Will you rock me in your arms,
softly singing my favorite songs?
She's a killer queen...
gunfire and a laser beam,
guaranteed to blow your mind...

Down on the corner,
party in the street,
Willie and the poor boys are playing,
bring your nickles, tap your feet...

(I hope you choke up on this last one)
Bye bye Miss American Pie,
drove my chevy to the levy but the levy was dry...

Will you try hard not to get your snot on me?
I know I'm dead, but these things can be avoided.

Will you cry and mutter things like
"better place"
and
"grandpa met you there"
Will you smile and laugh?
Will you at least do that for me?
Do it because you know that I'm counting on everything to meet Sirius Black in heaven.

At my funeral,
play loud music.
Make my best friend dance to it.
She won't feel like it,
she might miss me,
and she doesn't like my music.

Hey kids,
shake it lose together.
The spotlight's hitting something
that's been known to change the weather.
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight,
so stick around.

Dance,
please dance.
Shake your hair lose,
and make him tie his tie around his head.
I'll be dancing, too.
Just listen closely.

Oh, but they're weird,
they're wonderful...

Please get lots of cheese for my funeral lunch.
Like Aunt Suzy accidently did at Grandpa's.
It'll be really funny.

Please laugh.
Laugh like you did when brother got his tattoo.
Laugh like you do when Jared cracks his jokes.

Also, don't be surprised I'm dead.
We all know that it's been slowly creeping up on me.
It started with the light behind my eyes.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I felt a full spectrum of emotions reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "She won't feel like it,
    she might miss me,
    and she doesn't like my music"
    "Please get lots of cheese for my funeral lunch"
    You're just fantastically awesome. I'm smiling but sad too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg :(((((((((((

    this was touching

    ReplyDelete
  4. At my funeral, play loud music.
    Honestly I just wanna hug you or shake your hand if that's weird or something. You're so real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude. Great post. And that last line. I love the song lyrics.

    ReplyDelete