Sunday, March 30, 2014

A Letter to the Moon

Dear Moon,

I've thought about drowning myself in the rain, because I like the smell too much.

I always thought that maybe he'd come with me to the top of the hill, where we'd simply sit and laugh. I always imagined the sun would be setting and there would probably be flowers. However, the unrealisticness of that dream is now dawning on me as I realize that it couldn't be sunset. It couldn't be sunset, because when the sun is gone, you come out Mr. Moon. And you have abused me thoroughly enough.

You have seen me through all stages of life. Remember the games sister and I used to play when we shared a room? Do you remember that, Moon? Or maybe the vision is clearer of when I got scolded for staying up too late reading, then simply ignored my mother and read more. You've seen many laughs Mr. Moon, the the tears far outnumber the laughs. It has been under your watchful eye that I have crashed into a million pieces, only to be put clumsily back together again. The problem is, I'm beginning to realize that I can only put me back together so much.

Doesn't this phase you, Moon? (No pun intended.)

It's funny, I think I'm fine. I think I'm fine when the sun is high and my bones are warm and dry. My bones are pushing me along with soothing words of comfort, and I'm stupid enough to actually believe them. But once you come out again, it all deteriorates, and I am left with nothing more than my brain, which has proved to be the most dangerous tool of all.

Do you even care, Moon?

The worst is waking up to your looming face. How dare you still be up when I'm awake for a new day. The Sun is supposed to be there to clear away the woes of the night before, and to make sure the paste that holds me together sticks. I think the Sun is getting tired of his job, Moon. I'm getting tired of it, too.

Why are you taking your anger out on me? I'm sorry, I bet you'd like to give heat like Sun. I bet you wish that people weren't asleep the only time you're out. I suppose that being smaller than Sun is really a hard thing for you. And the fact that sometimes only parts of you can be seen must be really annoying. Is it frustrating that the stars, who you have dominion over, far outnumber you in 'awes' and 'oos'? Don't let that bother you, you are the main attraction.

Please remember, dear Moon, the the Sun is just a star, too.

I think I might know how you feel. I can't tell north from east or right from left, so please guide me through the night. I swore I wouldn't take any u turns.

Yours Truly,



3 comments:

  1. "I've thought about drowning myself in the rain, because I like the smell too much." Still stunned at this line after reading the entire post. You seriously know how to captivate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a great post! also i used it as my #jealousy post

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sun is just a star, too.

    This means so much to me. I kinda wanna stand on rooftops everywhere and read this to people, except also I feel as though it's special enough to be kept a secret.

    ReplyDelete