Saturday, March 1, 2014

Swimming in the Rain

"Last night was so fun."
"It was."

Let's do something reckless. Let's do something we can laugh about for years. Let's do something stupid.

It's been a while since I've felt alive, but you might have ignited my soul.

Say we're the kings and queens.
Say it, because high school was noting like my brother made it sound.
Say we're the kings and queens because I hate labels,
But I never said no to a title.
SAY WE'RE THE KINGS AND QUEENS.
Say it, because I'm holding a knife to your throat,
But I'm just reckless like that.
We'll laugh about it in a couple months.
Say we're the kings and queens, because last night,
Under that water,
I was on top of the world.

I've been gone for a long time,
and I really wasn't planning on coming back.
My nose has found comfort in my books,
And my eyes like darting from page to page
The exercise was "good" for me.
Good for my muscles,
But my soul tore.

Say we're the kings and queens.
Because I need you sew me back together,
And every queen
needs a king.

3 comments:

  1. "I need you to sew me back together." This is money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This, like the rest of your writing, is awesome! And I don't really know any other way to tell you how much I like it! "because last night, under that water, I was on top of the world" #stolen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on a No-U-Turns comment spree, but I liked and related to "Let's do something reckless. Let's do something we can laugh about for years. Let's do something stupid."--ness. Yes................... (nods @ you)

    ReplyDelete